The Church's Beginnings
The land for Clyde River Presbyterian church was purchased from the late Angus MacFadyen in 1856. The Church was built shortly thereafter and was called Burnside.
The carpenters employed were John Auld, John Darach, John MacPhail, Colin MacPhail, and Archibald MacFadyen. Trees were cut from nearby woods and hewn by hand. Sawing was done at Dixon's Mill and Beer's Mill on the Bannockburn Road.
The Church was first opened by the Rev. James Allen of Covehead. As the congregation experienced tremendous growth in the 1870s, it was necessary to enlarge the original building by adding a wing. This work was completed by Joseph Hyde and Edward MacCallum.
Clyde River, in the very early history of Presbyterianism on Prince Edward Island, was part of the congregation of New London.
On October 14, 1862, Clyde River - which had been included within the bounds of Rev. Mr. Ross' charge - was declared by Presbytery to be part of the congregation of Queen's Square, Charlottetown.
In 1873 Clyde River was separated from Queen's Square and added to the congregation of West River and Brookfield.
In 1886 Brookfield joined Hunter River and Glasgow Road to constitute one charge while West River and Clyde River constituted another charge.
At a later date Clyde River was again associated with Brookfield but then in 1926 West River was separated from Clyde River.
In 1938 Churchill, Canoe Cove and Nine Mile Creek were united with Clyde River to form the Central Parish charge.